Description: The Sunkist shrimp is a unique shrimp variant, offering a desirable orange colouration. These are low to medium grade Sunkist shrimp. They are very peaceful, great algae cleaners and can be kept alongside other small fish. They are not shy and will happily roam your tank looking for leftover pieces of food and algae to scavenge on. They are an excellent addition for a beginner hobbyist as they will live happily in most tap water conditions.
Feeding: Their scavenger lifestyle means that feeding requirements are minimal. However, if you want to bring out their best colouration, prolong their lifespan and improve breeding rates, a varied diet is recommended. From our experience, we recommend an assortment of natural and 'complete' foods.
Improving Colouration: A dark substrate along with plenty of green plants such as Java ferns, Anubias and Moss is ideal for these shrimp as it helps to bring their colour out.
Breeding: After a female sheds her exoskeleton, a hormone is released into the water column that indicates to the male that she is ready for breeding. The males will race around the tank in search of the female and 'cling' on to her for a split second when they find her. Eggs will soon become visible underneath the females tail where she will fan them to keep them oxygenated and healthy. These eggs will typically hatch after about 30 days.
If you want to take your breeding game to the next level, we would recommend setting up a Reverse Osmosis water unit for ultimate stability and control. We are happy to talk customers through this process if interested.
- Please refer to the video as best reference of the quality of the shrimp you will receive
- All photos are our own
- We encourage customers to drip acclimate all shrimp purchases to ensure they thrive in their new home. Please message us if you are unsure of how to do this.
- Shrimp received will generally be juvenile shrimp (approximately 1cm)
- Juvenile shrimp are less colourful than adults. Shrimp develop more appealing colouration as they get older.
- The stress of shipment can also hinder your shrimps colour upon arrival. Please allow 1 week for them to adjust to their new home.
Common Name: Sunkist Cherry Shrimp
Scientific Name: Neocaridina Davidi var. "Sunkist"
pH: 6.8 - 7.8
TDS: 150-300 ppm
GH: 4-8 dGH
KH: 3-15 dKH
Life Span: 1.5 -2.5 years
Size: 2 - 2.5cm when fully grown